Cayson

Cayson

Monday, November 23, 2015

Week 19 Orlando - Conway East

It's finally starting to cool down here in the promised land of Orlando Florida! I actually got a little cold while riding my bike through the rain yesterday haha. The high for today is suppose to be 65! I am so excited! So today for P-day we are going with a member to bass pro shop. It's going to be way fun. :) 
 
Anyways. So his week was great! I would say that the highlight of the week was taking the Risley's (some of our investigators) on a temple tour! It was so fun and I always love going to the temple. After they even took us to dinner at some crazy Chinese food place. It's called Kim Wu. On the menu they had an option for a whole duck! Like the head and all! I was really tempted to get it but is was like 40$ so I didn't. I ended up getting some noodles instead. Anyways, the Risley's are doing really well. We are hoping to get them baptized within the next few months.

 
  

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
I heard a quote of a former mission president who said that he would take a missionary who works hard over one who knows the scriptures well any day. I think his is very true. If you don't have any work ethic, you aren't going to accomplish anything. I think that I am finally starting to understand why my dad made me get off the couch and go dig holes with him or work on the truck. At the time it seemed pointless, but now I understand why he did it and I am really glad he did. If I could say one thing that I am grateful for that he taught me, it would be how to work. We have a quote in our apartment that says, "When a missionary works he will get the spirit. When a missionary gets the spirit he will teach by the spirit; and if he teaches by the spirit, he will touch the hearts of many and he will be happy." - Ezra Taft Benson. I'll be honest, coming out here was not easy. But when you work hard, it becomes easier and easier. I could say now that I am loving my mission and that I am having time of my life! After putting a little effort into it, we become so much more happy. I think that this can apply with anything.
So in sacrament meeting yesterday hey takes a lot about gratitude. Someone said the quote, "What if you woke up today with only the things you gave thanks for yesterday?" I would be in trouble. This quote made me reflect on what I take for granted. I never realized how lucky I was to have the knowledge I do of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are able to be with our families forever! How lucky are we!? I see people everyday who are confused, hurt, lonely. They lack purpose for their life yet they are too prideful to give up what they have so they can have so much more. We ran into a lady last week who was being evicted out of her house, sitting on the back of a broken down truck, smoking a cigarette, and laughing at us because "we don't know what we are doing and are confused." I felt terrible for her and I wanted to help her so bad. This experience made me reflect on how grateful I am for what I have and what I know. I have a family who I will be with forever. I have great friends who would do anything for me and I would do anything for them. I have a knowledge of the true plan of happiness. I have faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement. I have everything that I need and I am so grateful for that.
 
As Thanksgiving is coming up I hope you guys reflect on what you are grateful for. How lucky are we to be part of this gospel! I love you all and keep you in my prayers!

Elder Goff