Cayson

Cayson

Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 3 Lake Placid

This week was one of the fasted of my life! I swear it was just barely Monday and now here it is again. It got pretty cold this week. Saturday night it got about 32 degrees. I was in heaven but everybody else was freaking out. It is so much better in the winter here. We have a screened in patio in our backyard so Thursday night Elder Rowley and I took our beds out there and slept outside! I still can't figure out why we did it but it was fun. That night it got about 45 degrees was all.

We have met many people this week. One of which is named Nate. He is super prepared to hear the gospel. We went to his house looking for someone else and found him. He has had a rough past life but has a strong desire to change. He said that he had been praying that day to God asking Him what he should do because he feels like there is so much more and then that night we showed up (crazy how that works right?). Elder Rowley and I had a lesson with him last night. We taught the Restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon. After baring our testimony to him, we were all in tears. He said that he wants to be baptized so hopefully we can set a date for that next time we go over. I feel like God is finally starting to bless Elder Rowley and I for all the work we've been doing. We taught a lot more lessons this week than we expected. I also met a cool member who is a less active we are working with, who said he would take us hunting hogs for free when I come back to visit. He has a bunch of property and shoots probably 3 hogs a week because they are such a pain.

We also had another crazy experience this week. We have another less active we have been working with. She said that she feels like there is something bothering her a lot. She can't focus on anything and is in a really bad situation financially. What she described to us was that she remembered a few months ago something entered into her body and since then she's been really depressed and gets all these negative thoughts. I'll be honest, at first I thought she was crazy. She asked me to give her a blessing and in the blessing I commanded whatever was in her to leave. As I said that it was like everything changed and was 10X more peaceful. After the blessing this lady was speechless. She acted like a whole new person! It's crazy how real and powerful Satan can be. It's also even more crazy how real and powerful the priesthood is! So I guess you could say that I cast out a devil this week.

On Wednesday we had the opportunity to watch a worldwide missionary training. They talked a lot about the importance of members, teaching repentance, and the importance of the Holy Ghost when teaching. Elder Bednar talked about how we have to be a vessel in which the spirit can work through. It is amazing to see this. A lot of times I get out of a lesson and look back wondering how I ever came up with the things I said. It's pretty cool. Elder Bednar said, "Be a worthy and obedient conduit in which the Holy Ghost can be a teacher." This is the key to missionary work. Whitewashing has been tough. The key to building up this Lake Placid branch is to be more obedient and diligent than ever. It is so cool and sometimes even frustrating how the Lord waits to bless us until we learn to simply obey.

This week was a big step in this area. Elder Rowley and I are finally starting to see some success after 3 weeks of coming into this area. We have become great friends with several of the members and are now
teaching a whole list of investigators!

I love you all! Elder Goff




Our District: elders Davis, Rowley, Amos, Olson, Harrison, and me