Cayson

Cayson

Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 4 Lake Placid

Man time flies! It seems like I just got here. I'm pretty sure both Elder Rowley and I are going to stay here in Lake Placid this coming transfer. The weather here this week it been great. it rained a little bit but it was warm. It's been in the high 60's to low 70's.

So something funny that happened this week. We were checking up on an investigator and this guy came to the door with the pitbull between his legs. He went back inside to get his wife and accidentally left the door cracked open. The pitbull saw it and jumped out at me. My first reaction was to kick. So I kick our investigators dog in the face! Hahaha The only thing I could think to say was sorry to the family . Luckily the dog didn't try to do that anymore. Turns out he was just trying to run away and not attack me. They really didn't care much though so it's all good. So this family, the Walton's, is awesome though.

Things have been changing a lot here. The main people we are now working with is Nate, bubba, and the family whose pitbull I kicked in the face. (They are a really cool family and didn't really even care that I kicked their dog so it's all good). Unfortunately we didn't have the opportunity to meet with Nate this week who is a really awesome investigator who wants to get baptized. We plan to set a date with him this coming week. But we did find a new investigator named Bubba this week. He is the boyfriend to a less active daughter in our ward. So it's a win-win situation. Hopefully we can reactivate the daughter and baptize the boyfriend. We also found another family of investigators. Ironically enough it is the family with the pitbull that I kicked. We came back and were having our first lesson with them which at the time was the restoration. Halfway through the lesson they brought up baptism and ask how they can be baptized. The mom had been baptized but only by sprinkling water on her head. We covered that pretty well by explaining how Jesus Christ came straight way out of the water of the river Jordan. We are super excited about them and plan to talk more about baptism and maybe a date this coming week.

On Thursday I had the opportunity to do something that I haven't done my whole mission. Elder Rowley and I went on splits with the couple members in our branch. Because there's so many Spanish-speaking people here Elder Rowley went with a Spanish-speaking member to visit all the Spanish numbers and I went with member to visit all the English members. In 2 hours we taught 4 lessons! To say the least we've been seeing a lot of improvement in our area finally. We saw a lot of tender mercies this week also. On Saturday we were teaching one of our investigators and this random guy pulled up, stopped, got out of the car, walked over to us, and handed us $20. He said go get you guys some lunch. Turns out this guy is a fishing guide also. He gave us his card and said we could come back and visit next week. So hopefully we can teach them a little bit about the gospel.

So I was reading through a talk from last conference by
Elder Schwitzer. He talked about what it takes to be a true disciple of Christ. He said, "True disciples of Christ are not looking to make excuses for the doctrine when it doesn’t fit the world’s current concepts." A lot of times people just do things to fit in rather than do things because it's the right thing. I remember something that my dad would always tell me. He would say, "what is right will always be right no matter who isnt doing it and what is wrong will always be wrong no matter who is doing it."

Well I love you all! Hope you had a great week! (It sounds like it's been snowing pretty good there in Utah. I still can't decide if I'm jealous or not because the weather here is so nice yet I miss the snow.)


Elder Goff

 
We have a clown school in our town here in lake placid 


Happy Birthday Elder Rowley