Cayson

Cayson

Monday, September 19, 2016

Week 1 Daytona Beach

This week was crazy! So much is going on here in Daytona! I love it I don't think I have had 5 minutes to even sit down and think. I feel like I am running from place to place taking every second possible to help further the work of salvation. What a great feeling and what a great blessing!

Daytona is awesome! It's probably not what any of you would expect it to be like. Most of it is just ghetto and the hood if you know what I mean. The people here are the best though. The members are amazing and the people who aren't members are so prepared. The Daytona Speedway's in our area. We get to drive by it once in a while. The Beach is pretty hard to get to so believe it or not I still have yet to see the beach and I have been in Florida for over a year! Here in Daytona, the closer you get to the beach, the more ghetto the neighborhoods get. It's a change but I am excited about it!
We have an investigator named Brett working towards baptism on October 9th. He is such a great guy! I can tell even from this being just the first week I've known him that he is definitely converted to the Lord. He has come from a crazy wild lifestyle and has changed to be a man of God looking forward to baptism and the temple. I'm so pumped for him!

My new companion is Elder Acevedo. He's from Logan Utah and actually came out at the same time. He is such a good Elder. He's a lot like me so we get along super well. 
I got here on Tuesday, then we had exchanges to Deland on Tuesday night through Thursday morning. I spent Friday here in Daytona, then I went on another to exchange to Bunnell (farthest North part of our mission) Friday night through Saturday night. So in all, I have slept in my own bed 3 times since last Tuesday. It's been quite an adventure haha. 

Here in Daytona we cover a family Ward and also a YSA branch. After church yesterday the YSA brought a bunch of food to have a lunch. They gave us all the extra pizza which was pretty stale so we didn't really want it. We had a ton of it too so we were a little confused at what to do with it. Finally we came to the conclusion that we would go to the ghetto and do some pizza contacting. That's right, we handed out all of this pizza to the people there who were a little less fortunate. It was so cool and funny. We got some pretty crazy looks! One guy we handed it to hand a blank stare for almost a minute then he finally said, can I get a to-go bag? We were like, "umm... sure" so we had a random newspaper in our back seat and asked if that would work. He said ya so we wrapped his pizza in newspaper. He was so happy!
Anyways, to say the least, I am having the time of my life! The time I have to share the Lord here on my mission is more precious than any gold or silver. I grow so much daily and have really come to recognize how the atonement of our savior does so much more than just save us from our sins. It helps us improve each day. It helps us to be a little better today than we were yesterday, and a little better tomorrow than we are today. In church yesterday, they talked a lot about families. I have the greatest family here on earth! How lucky are we to have families. Without them, the great Plan of Salvation would not work. 

Love you all and hope you have a great week!
Elder Goff

Elder Acevedo and I